Sony FS100 vs. DSLR


I wrote this in response to an article that I read today. The article said that DSLRs are just as good as their younger large format sensor cameras. He was referencing the new Sony FS100. I obviously disagree with that and I wanted to just put it up somewhere. I know this may not make any sense to some but these are my thoughts on it.

I am a full time filmmaker, I thought I'd just throw this in there, I like the look of DSLRs but primarily I don't like working with them. I shot a full length film on a 7D and in the end, it has a nice look but I don't like the codec. It's really in the Dynamic range, and the color reproduction. I know any DSLR is passable but for wide shots it just doesn't feel satisfying. I know that's a weird way to put it but when I see a great image on my screen, it makes me happy, really happy. Your article makes a good point, but the fact is at least half of why I do what I do, and strive for that amazing look is because I want to please my own aesthetic desire to see my own work in pristine glory. If it doesn't look so hot streaming at a low bit rate then fine, but for me I really want it to be as good as possible. Secondly, I think you can't overestimate "ease of use" on set. To preview audio and video together right after a shot, makes a big difference. I think the improvements are worth the money.

I tell you where I do agree though, the idea that the FS100 could do a lot more than their firmware allows, I agree. I would be willing to bet that it could sing just as loud and pretty as the F3, but they have to protect each camera's market share. This is frustrating but it's also why Sony is able to do what they do, the control their product lines in a way that makes it possible to make maximum cash. The reason why I'm ok with this is because when it comes down to it, I can't build a camera in my basement, and neither can 99.999% of any of us. We need the Sony's and the Canon's and the Panasonic's to make these tools for us. The reason they can afford the research and development of these amazing cameras is because they are not just scientist and technicians, they are businesses who know how to grow their profits. Those profits make it possible to make great gear, which is after all, what we want.

1 comment:

  1. Now that a lot of videographers have made the switch the ugly truth starts to pop up:
    - many DSLRs have a limit of 12 or 30 minutes of recording, and need tob e manually restarted after that;
    - many DSLRs run extremely hot when used for longer periods (over 15 to 30 minutes at a time - restarting doesn't change this)
    These two items alone make them unfit for the event videographer.
    Sound is another weakness. For decent live sound, you NEED to ad a separate audio recorder into the mix, which translates in more work on set, AND in editing (sync-ing things up).

    ReplyDelete