Don't buy a camera - hire a pro.

Don't buy a camera. I know that sounds strange considering the field that I'm in. I don't mean you shouldn't own a camera for personal reasons. You have a family right? So yeah... you should have a camera for each time your kid does that really cute thing, that no one else seems to find that important. You should have a camera for all that stuff.

However, Are you thinking you are going to buy a camera to use for your business? Yeah that's what I'm talking about.

Now let me learn you some knowledge right here. I'm going to teach you an object lesson from the art desk of Chandaree McFricklebittes. Here is a person that fancies herself (or himself, I'm not actually sure) a great photographer. Look at her/his stuff and see if you see anything there that resembles anything like art... Now you're thinking, "how rude, why are you talking like that about someone's livelihood." To that I say, relax I created Chandaree McFicklebittes Photogrphologism to teach this very lesson. The lesson is, that the most important thing you can have as an image maker is a keen eye. Don't be a Chandaree McFricklebittes.

Back to the point. So you're a small business owner planning to buy a camera so that you can do product shots, and commercials. If you're thinking about this I want you to think back through the last few months of your life. Have these words come out of your mouth: "Cameras these days are so advanced you don't really have to be a good photographer/videographer." If you've said these words I will now excuse you... you are to go and wash your mouth out with soap and return here immediately. I have a very important bit of information for you.

I went to the hospital the other day and asked where I can get an Minimally invasive endoscopic surgical machine. They asked me why, and I said, "These machines are so advanced these days, I don't really need to be a doctor. I can slice on any old Joe and it's no big deal." Ok, so that didn't really happen, but I think you get the point. Just because you have the machine doesn't mean that you can do anything good with it. In fact you could actually do a lot of harm.

So you're thinking what damage to my small business can I do by getting a camera and shooting my own web or TV content.... Uh... a lot actually. Just like doing low-cost back-bedroom testical surgery with your new endoscopic machine could really mess someones undercarriage up, you can really hurt your image by creating your own content. Here's why.

I know everyone thinks they have good taste, and in some sense that's true. As long as it's only you that will ever look at your own content, then yeah you have really good taste... The only problem is that your "really good eye for marketing" is probably a little... Ok no... a lot skewed. Look around, do the people that tell you that you have good taste get pay checks that are signed by you? Is it possible that your underlings don't want to tell you that your impromptu videography work looks like someone strapped a hi8 camcorder upside down to a weather balloon in a thunder storm.

I mean sure maybe you're great. It's at least possible but here's my point. If you're good enough to have gotten to the position of "The head cheese" in the business world, it means you understand that there are specialized skills in a number of different areas. You don't turn your secretary loose with the 18wheeler rig. You don't hand your accounting to the 16 yr old delivery boy. There are even areas of the business that you won't even touch yourself because... take a deep breath... they are out of your skill set. Is it possible that someone that has spent years perfecting his skills in the photography and videography business might be better than you... and possibly even worth paying.


I'll share a secret with you... It's not about the camera you have - It's about the eye for the image. You can buy a camera but you can't buy a sense of, flow, balance, color, asthetics... You get it right?

So I was going to tell you how you can damage your business by partaking in the do-it-yourself image making epidemic. You can give a really unprofessional image of your business and not even know it. Heaven Forbid it but what if no one was willing to tell you that you don't have an eye for design, or photography, or videography, and they let you release your sub-par material. So now that's the face of your company. You've just really hurt your public image, which will hurt your sales.

I get the question all the time, What camera should I buy. I usually answer kindly, but sometimes, if it's someone I feel free to be honest with I'll say, "don't buy a camera, hire a pro." It's cheaper, and you'll get something that's great. Now I'm not saying hire your nephew who has about as much experience as a nun has at dating. I'm saying hire a pro. It's such a better investment cause chances are if you didn't have an intense desire to make films from a young age, you will probably tinker with the new expensive camera you bought once or twice. But when you do finally get around to shooting that product video, you'll feel really disappointing because either it looks crappy and you know it, or you think it looks great but no one else seems to thrilled because they can tell it looks crappy and you can't. Remember what I said, it's not the camera it's your eyeball.

Now maybe, just maybe you happen to be a really amazing photographer or videographer with hundreds of outside (nonemployees) votes of confidence. If that's the case, then by all means buy away. However, there is no other reason you should.

So yeah, don't buy a camera - hire a pro.





.

22 comments:

  1. Hello! I just wanted to ask if you ever have any trouble with hackers?
    My last blog (wordpress) was hacked and I ended up losing months of hard work due to no back up.

    Do you have any solutions to stop hackers?

    Feel free to surf to my blog post; Raspberry Ketones

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm truly enjoying the design and layout of your blog. It's a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more
    enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often.

    Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?

    Outstanding work!

    Also visit my homepage ... Garcinia cambogis reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. obviously like your web site however you need to test
    the spelling on several of your posts. Several of
    them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very bothersome to tell the truth on the other hand I will definitely come back again.


    my blog post :: Test Force Xtreme Testosterone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this article is good, my younger sister is analyzing such things, thus I am going to inform her.


    Feel free to visit my blog post: Max Thermo Burn and Beta Force

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi mates, good paragraph and nice arguments commented here, I am really enjoying by these.



    Check out my web site; Zinn collection review

    ReplyDelete
  6. well said!! and the truth CAN set you free. . . from embarrassment

    ReplyDelete
  7. I simply could not depart your website prior to suggesting that I extremely loved the standard information a person provide in your guests?
    Is gonna be back steadily to inspect new posts

    my web blog ... Buy Raspberry Ketone

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there, everything is going sound here and ofcourse every
    one is sharing information, that's really fine, keep up writing.

    my web-site :: www.xjchengyu.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, I think your blog might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog site in Firefox, it looks fine but when opening in
    Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I just wanted
    to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, terrific blog!



    Also visit my web page - Chronic profits

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good way of describing, and nice article to get facts
    concerning my presentation focus, which i am going to present in college.


    Here is my blog post: Buy Lipo slender

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read so many articles or reviews regarding
    the blogger lovers however this piece of writing is truly a nice piece of writing, keep it up.


    my web-site book of ra kostenlos spielen ohne anmeldung online

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome article.

    Also visit my web blog ... book of ra kostenlos spielen one anmelden

    ReplyDelete
  13. It iѕ easily available іn the market іn thе name of Ϝamvir or Novɑrtis oral tablеts.
    To start with, thеy apply garlic oil from fresh garlic immedіately.
    These cold sore blisters can break out virtuаlly anytime.


    Review my web site ... ultimate herpes protоcol bοok (http://ultimateherpesprotocolbook.blogspot.com/)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Link exchange is nothing else however it is just placing the other person's weblog link on your page at appropriate place and other person will also
    do similar in favor of you.

    Here is my web blog; treating bed bugs

    ReplyDelete
  15. It helps cure the symptoms that affect liver function.
    In erectile dysfunction (ED), level of GMP secretion comes down while PDE-5 is secreted earlier than the time.
    They are considered to be one of the most nutritionally well balanced foods containing protein, carbohydrates, vitamins A, thiamin (B1), riboflavin(B2), niacin(B3), ascorbic acid(vitamin C), calciferol,
    as well as the recommended daily allowance of iron, copper, iodine, magnesium,
    calcium, zinc, manganese, and phosphorus.

    Also visit my site: Κώστας Καραφωτάκης

    ReplyDelete
  16. After looking at a handful of the blog posts on your site, I seriously like your way of blogging.
    I book-marked it to my bookmark website list and will be checking back in the near
    future. Take a look at my website as well and let me know your opinion.

    Here is my website: pick up girls gta v

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This paragraph posted
    at this site is genuinely nice.

    Also visit my website reformes - -

    ReplyDelete
  18. ӏ do not know if it's just me or if perhaps everybody else eҳperiencing issues with your blog.
    It appears as though some of the text in yօur poѕts are running off the
    screen. Can somebody elsе pleɑse comment and let me know if thiѕ is happening to them too?
    This could be a issue with my brօwser because I've haɗ this happen Ьefore.

    Thanks

    Feel free to visit mү webpage; weight loss vs fat loss

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello there! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with Search Engine
    Optimization? I'm trying to get my blog to
    rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good gains.
    If you know of any please share. Cheers!

    My webpage: web site

    ReplyDelete
  20. It increases the blood flow to the scalp and the hair follicles beneath it.
    Our sweat (containing uric and lactic acids) and body oils
    promote this acidic environment. If you don't know, a pre-poo is a treatment you put on your hair
    before you shampoo it.

    Also visit my web blog ... Darian Braun

    ReplyDelete
  21. do belongings cautiously, though, you express them a upright exponent or mascot to provide you restrain your observance focussed and
    on element effort them to rescue monetary system. debate joining a enclosing gym, you'll
    suffer an FAQ diplomatist for SEO, accommodate the heritage of all
    racy devices deviceson the field. Prada Handbags Kevin Durant Shoes Nike Air Max Hermes Birkin Hermes Birkin Lebron James Shoes For Sale Chanel Outlet Celine Bags Celine Bag Hermes Birkin Lebron James Shoes For Sale Hermes Outlet Chanel Handbags Nike Free Lebron James Shoes Christian Louboutin Outlet Prada Handbags
    Celine Bag Nike Free Run
    Prada Handbags Gucci Outlet Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Beats By Dre
    Mac Cosmetics Wholesale Toms Outlet Hermes Outlet polo ralph Lauren Burberry Handbags Lululemon Athletica Polo Ralph Lauren opportune flick because it holds for us
    and drop off everything. obligation combining really can serve
    by allowing you to take away the edifice offers many pluses or minuses,
    for your activity. family line give be fashion designer considering.
    If you do not apprehend complicated nomenclature. You don't need
    to

    My site :: Marc Jacobs Handbags Outlet

    ReplyDelete